This apprenticeship is full time employment with training. It involves assisting with the upkeep of the salon, dealing with clients, carrying out hairdressing services and assisting colleagues. You will develop valuable practical experience by working in a salon environment and being exposed to a high standard of professional hairdressing on a day to day basis
- Location: 407 Guelph Line Burlington, ONL7R 3L7
- Salary: $15.00 to $16.00HOUR hourly for 20 to 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
Part time leading to full time
- Day, Evening, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
A hairdresser apprentice typically completes routine tasks in the initial stages of his or her job, which might include helping professional hairstylists or beauty salon managers with client preparation and the application and removal of simple hairdressing treatments. Apprentices also help hairdressers with shampooing as well as sterilizing and maintaining equipment. As they gain more experience, they can complete more complicated tasks.
Apprentices in the later stages of their apprenticeships are able to cut and style hair using razors, clippers and scissors. They also shampoo and condition hair, permanently wave hair, bleach hair, dye or tint hair and style hair using straightening irons, brushes, combs and other equipment. These professionals can even shave and trim beards and . In addition, they can clean, adjust, cut and curl wigs and hairpieces.
These professionals must be able to sell retail products, recommend products and treatments after assessing a patient’s hair condition, draft client record cards, order supplies and clean their salons and equipment. They typically also should be able to operate a cash register and computer and perform other reception duties, which include answering telephones and scheduling appointments.
Hairdresser apprentices must have strong verbal communication skills, as they are responsible for greeting customers, speaking with clients about topics of general interest and advising clients about their hair shape. Because they often work with members of the public, they must present themselves well. This includes being in good health with no skin allergies and portraying a pleasant personality.
Registered Apprenticeship certificate
1 to less than 7 months
- Hair Colouring Techniques
- Hair Styling Techniques
- Blow drying
- Additional Skills
- Shampoo customers’ hair; Perform receptionist duties; Maintain and order supplies; Book appointments
- Work Setting
- Barbershop or hairstyling salon/studio
- Personal Suitability
- Effective interpersonal skills; Flexibility; Team player; Excellent oral communication; Client focus; Dependability; Reliability
- Hairstylist Specific Skills
- Suggest hair style compatible with client’s physical features or determine style from client’s instructions and preferences; Cut, trim, taper, curl, wave, perm and style hair; Analyze hair and scalp condition and provide basic treatment or advice on beauty care treatments for scalp and hair; Apply bleach, tints, dyes or rinses to colour, frost or streak hair
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Apprentices
How to apply
Here is what you must include when submitting your application:
- Cover letter
Intended job posting audience
Anyone who can legally work in Canada can apply for this job. If you are not currently authorized to work in Canada, the employer will not consider your job application.