A carpenter is responsible for working with wood to build and repair structures and other items and they also may have to select and source appropriate materials depending on project needs. Their duties include calculating quotes, meeting with clients and creating design plans for remodeling projects.
Carpenters are skilled artisans who construct, erect, install and renovate structures made of wood and other materials, ranging from kitchen cabinets to building frameworks. They work in various areas of construction.
- Location: Surrey, BC
- Salary: $28.00HOUR hourly for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 2 vacancies
We are looking to hire a skilled carpenter with knowledge of various carpentry techniques. You will be responsible for layout, installation, repairing, finishing, and maintaining various structures, fixtures, and buildings. Other duties will include designing, cutting, and measuring materials according to a client’s requirements.
A successful applicant should be hardworking, reliable, and have good communication and organizational skills. You must have completed an apprenticeship in carpentry or have equivalent experience in the field.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints.
- Assisting supervisors with structural design, planning, layout, and installation.
- Conduct repair work and installation of doors, windows, drywall, cabinets, stairs, and other fixtures as required.
- Ability to assess the quality of woodwork and materials.
- Ability to operate tools, machines, and other equipment.
- Compliance with local building codes, and health and safety regulations.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods, climb, pull, and lift heavy objects.
- High school diploma.
- Completion of a recognized apprenticeship or a minimum of 4 years experience as a journey-level carpenter.
- Additional certification may be required.
- Good communication skills.
- Physically fit with good hand-eye coordination.
- Knowledge of mathematics.
Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
1 year to less than 2 years
- Specific Skills
- Fit and install windows, doors, stairs, mouldings and hardware; Prepare layouts in conformance to building codes, using measuring tools; Read and interpret blueprints, drawings and sketches to determine specifications and calculate requirements; Measure, cut, shape, assemble and join materials made of wood, wood substitutes, lightweight steel and other materials; Build foundations, install floor beams, lay subflooring and erect walls and roof systems; Maintain, repair and renovate residences and wooden structures in mills, mines, hospitals, industrial plants and other establishments
- Personal Suitability
- Team player; Reliability
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada, Students, Youth
How to apply
Intended job posting audience
Anyone who can legally work in Canada can apply for this job. If you are not currently authorized to work in Canada, the employer will not consider your job application.