Heavy equipment mechanics, also known as heavy-duty equipment mechanics, are industry mechanics who specialize in working with heavy machinery used in construction, farming, and railway transport. They work with the biggest engines, inspecting, servicing, and repairing any damage to the engine or vehicle.
- LocationWhitehorse, YT
- Salary$$40.00 to $50.00HOUR hourly for 40 to 50 hours per week
- Terms of employmentPermanent employment
- Start dateStarts as soon as possible
- vacancies1 vacancy
We are looking to hire an experienced heavy equipment mechanic to inspect, service, and maintain our range of heavy-duty construction equipment. As a lead mechanic, you will be responsible for driving to the job site, inspecting engines and equipment, carrying out services, conducting repairs, and providing routine maintenance to the construction fleet.
To ensure success as a heavy equipment mechanic, you should have proven experience working with heavy machinery, be physically fit, and be able to troubleshoot issues on the job site. Ultimately, a top-notch heavy equipment mechanic can repair and service even the biggest machinery with expert care.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic Responsibilities:
- Driving to the job site.
- Inspecting trucks, cranes, bulldozers, and other heavy equipment for proper performance.
- Diagnosing faults using computerized testing equipment.
- Adjusting equipment and replacing faulty parts.
- Repairing damaged equipment parts.
- Cleaning, lubricating, and conducting routine services on heavy-duty vehicles.
- Cleaning and servicing of machine attachments like winches, blades, and side booms.
- Performing major repair work when necessary.
- Consulting with other mechanics on smaller jobs.
- Reporting damaged or faulty equipment to management.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Certification as a heavy equipment mechanic.
- Proven work experience as a diesel or heavy equipment mechanic.
- Understanding of computer testing technologies.
- Ability to lift heavy machinery.
- Extensive knowledge of diesel engines and construction equipment.
- Ability to work after-hours if required.
- Good communication skills.
College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
5 years or more
- Specific Skills
- Adjust equipment and repair or replace defective parts; Clean, lubricate and perform other maintenance work; Service attachments and working tools; Verify and repair emission control systems; Troubleshoot and inspect equipment to detect faults and malfunctions; Diagnose faults or malfunctions using computerized and other testing equipment to determine extent of repair required; Test repaired equipment for proper performance and to ensure that work meets manufacturers’ specifications
- Diesel Engine Repair Specialization
- Major internal engine repairs or overhaul; Installation and alignment of engines and machinery; Air conditioning system; Fuel injection system; Engine control system; Lubrication system; Cooling system; Exhaust system
- Additional Skills
- Keep maintenance reports and documentation; Order parts and maintain inventory; Welding experience; Perform repair work on heavy trucks; Attach components and adjust new farm equipment
- Weight Handling
- Up to 23 kg (50 lbs); Up to 45 kg (100 lbs); More than 45 kg (100 lbs)
- Powered Equipment Repair Specialization
- Pumps; Industrial lift trucks and fork-lifts; Hydraulic-operated working attachments; Electric generators; Compressors; Cable-operated working attachments; Telescopic ladder
- Security and Safety
- Bondable; Driver’s validity licence check; Driving record check (abstract); Drug test
- Own Tools/Equipment
- Tools; Steel-toed safety boots
- Work Site Environment
- Outdoors; Noisy; Dusty; Hot
- Transportation/Travel Information
- Own transportation; Valid driver’s licence
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Handling heavy loads; Physically demanding; Standing for extended periods; Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Work Location Information
- In shop; Various locations; Willing to relocate
- Mechanical Maintenance and Repair Specialization
- Wheel-mounted vehicle suspension and steering; Tracked vehicle suspensions and steering; Power take-offs; Off-road vehicle tires and wheels; Mechanical transmissions; Hydraulic transmissions; Highway vehicle tires and wheels; Drive trains and final drives; Differentials; Brake system
- Personal Suitability
- Flexibility; Accurate; Team player; Excellent oral communication; Client focus; Dependability; Judgement; Reliability
How to apply
Here is what you must include when submitting your application:
- Job reference number
- Cover letter
- References attesting experience
Intended job posting audience
Anyone who can legally work in Canada can apply for this job. If you are not currently authorized to work in Canada, the employer will not consider your job application.