Hotel night clerks register and assign rooms to hotel guests at night. … Hotel night clerks’ duties involve answering inquiries about hotel services, giving travel directions to late-night guests or making recommendations to guests about nighttime dining or entertainment options.
- Location: Gibsons, BC
- Salary: $15.20HOUR hourly for 35 to 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Evening, Night
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- vacancies: 1 vacancy
Hotel night clerks issue room keys to guests and keep records of occupied rooms and guests’ accounts, according to the Divi Carina Bay Beach Resort. They can change guest room reservations as well. Hotel night clerks must know all room types available at the establishment as well as layouts and locations and must know all room rates, promotions and special packages, according to Crestline Hotels and Resorts.
The reconciliation of a hotel’s activities usually occurs during overnight hours. For this reason, a hotel night clerk has different responsibilities from those working day or evening shifts. For example, hotel night clerks might have to print end-of-day reports regarding food and beverage sales or audit day and evening shift cashiers’ work and correct discrepancies. Meanwhile, day shift hotel clerks spend more of their time collecting payments from departing guests and confirming nighttime reservations. Hotel night clerks also must maintain confidentiality of guest information and important hotel data.
Hotel night clerks must anticipate guests’ needs, respond promptly to them and acknowledge all guests. They might have to secure guests’ valuables or process wake-up calls. They also must resolve guest complaints and share information regarding hotel services, features and hours of operation in person or via telephone. These professionals additionally monitor and maintain cleanliness and organization of various work areas and document maintenance needs on work orders.
Hotel night clerks must be able to maintain positive guest relations by possessing strong interpersonal skills. These professionals also must have strong oral and written communication skills, must know basic mathematics and must be professional. They additionally must be fast, accurate, detail-oriented and organized. Hotel night clerks must remain calm and resolve problems using good judgment. They must follow directions thoroughly and be able to work with minimal supervision as well. These individuals should have knowledge of computers and word processors in addition to business office machines such as fax machines. Hotel night clerks also should be able to lift, push or pull heavy items and stand for long periods.
Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
or equivalent experience
- Specific Skills
- Take, cancel and change room reservations; Register arriving guests and assign rooms; Provide information on hotel facilities and services; Process group arrivals and departures; Process guests’ departures, calculate charges and receive payments; Perform light housekeeping and cleaning duties; Investigate and resolve complaints and claims; Exchange foreign currency; Answer telephone and relay telephone calls and messages; Clerical duties (i.e. faxing, filing, photocopying); Provide general information about points of interest in the area; Follow emergency and safety procedures; Handle wake-up calls; Provide customer service; Assist clients/guests with special needs; Maintain an inventory of vacancies, reservations and room assignments
- Business Equipment and Computer Applications
- Word processing software; Internet
- Work Setting
- Hotel, motel, resort
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Attention to detail; Overtime required
- Personal Suitability
- Flexibility; Dependability; Reliability; Organized
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada, Students, Youth
How to apply
Intended job posting audience
Anyone who can legally work in Canada can apply for this job. If you are not currently authorized to work in Canada, the employer will not consider your job application.