Forester. Foresters play important roles in land management, conservation and rehabilitation. They plan and help carry out forestry projects, like planting new trees, monitoring and conserving wildlife habitats, choosing and preparing timber plots, assessing current timber value and suppressing forest fires.
Forester responsibilities include:
- Conducting technical forestry work including timber marking, volume estimation, technical assistance for use of forest or sale of forest products
- Collecting forest data for statistical analysis to be used by industries and government bodies
- Establishing and measuring permanent forest sample plots for land management surveys
- Location: Vernon, BC
- Salary: $61,182.54 to $77,067.27 annually for 70 hours bi-weekly
- Terms of employment; Permanent employment
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
We are looking for a Forester to join our team and work in state and national forests to mark and investigate trees ready for harvest while also preventing wildfires and other natural occurrences.
Forester responsibilities include measuring permanent forest sample plots, interpreting aerial photographs of plots, and responding to wildlife emergencies.
Ultimately, you will work with a small team of Foresters to ensure our forests are healthy and help organizations and government bodies understand the state of our forested lands.
- Prepare stands for contract tree planting
- Prepare contracts for harvesting forest products and other contract services
- Mark and investigate trees that are ready to be harvested
- Interpret aerial photographs of plots
- Coordinate and conduct felled-tree volume studies
- Evaluate areas to be burned prior to and after burning
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Forester or similar role
- Knowledge about forested lands and ecosystems
- Understanding of how to use GIS data and interpret aerial imagery for plot assessments
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Forester
- Registered Apprenticeship certificate
2 years to less than 3 years
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply