Jobs in Canada
Home support worker needed in Canada by Sharoon Yunus Buksh
You may also be called a personal aide, home support worker, or personal care attendant. Generally, PSWs: Care for people and families during periods of illness or recovery. Provide bedside and personal care to clients and help them move, bathe, groom and get dressed and undressed.
- Location: Surrey, BC
- Salary; $20.00 hourly for 30 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Term or contract
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
We are looking for a caring and empathetic support worker to assist our clients with day-to-day tasks. As a support worker, you will be required to meet with clients to assess their practical and emotional needs, draw up care plans, and help them to live as independently as possible. You may also be required to train family and friends in relevant support techniques and to lead community meetings.
To ensure success as a support worker, you should have excellent interpersonal skills, a passion for helping others, and good leadership skills. A skilled support worker should be able to provide both emotional and physical support when needed to ensure that clients feel in control of their lives.
Support Worker Responsibilities:
- Meeting with clients to discuss their practical and emotional needs.
- Designing care plans that best suit the clients’ needs.
- Providing emotional support by talking to clients about their needs and listening to their concerns.
- Assisting with domestic tasks including shopping, cooking, cleaning, and washing.
- Tending to the healthcare needs of each client.
- Helping clients to apply for jobs, disability grants, and housing loans.
- Counseling clients with drug or alcohol addictions.
- Training family members in basic support techniques.
- Helping clients to participate in leisure activities.
- Making case notes and managing the case logbook.
Support Worker Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- A qualification in health and social care is preferable.
- Commitment to helping others.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Empathetic with good listening skills.
- Good problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to carry out domestic duties.
- Willingness to assist with basic healthcare practices.
- Patient and emotionally resilient.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
Experience an asset
Work Site Environment
- Work in employer’s/client’s home
- Administer bedside and personal care
- Assist clients in water (i.e. pool)
- Assist clients with bathing and other aspects of personal hygiene
- Assist in regular exercise, e.g., walk
- Assume full responsibility for household (in absence of householder)
- Change non-sterile dressings
- Feed or assist in feeding
- Launder clothing and household linens
- Perform light housekeeping and cleaning duties
- Plan therapeutic diets and menus
- Provide companionship
- Provide personal care
- Prepare and serve nutritious meals
Experience and Specialization
- Client focus
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply