Fish farm workers help to breed and rear fish in ponds, tanks, cages or nets in the water. Most fish such as salmon, trout or shellfish are farmed for food, but some are bred for angling or for ornamental ponds. They are also called fish husbandry workers or fish farm technicians.
- Location: Tofino, BC
- Salary: $20.05 hourly for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Weekend, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Health benefits, Other benefits, Long term benefits
- Vacancies: 5 vacancies
- No degree, certificate or diploma
Work Site Environment
- In/on water
- Commercial aquatic farm
- Fish farm
- Feed aquaculture stock
- Operate, maintain and clean pumps, filters and other aquaculture equipment
- Clean and maintain aquaculture enclosures
- Assist aquaculture technicians in the operation of fish hatcheries or other aquatic farms
- feeding fish by hand or operating automatic feeding systems
- grading fish by size, moving them to bigger tanks or cages
- checking and maintaining water quality
- checking fish for disease, preventing and treating infection
- draining and cleaning tanks, filters and nets
- repairing tanks or cages
- getting fish ready for sale, gutting them and packing them in ice for transport
- maintaining buildings and equipment, involving basic joinery, plumbing and electrical work.
Experience and Specialization
Type of Aquaculture Operations
- Aquaculture — salmon
Area of Specialization
- Pacific salmon
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Fast-paced environment
- Handling heavy loads
- Physically demanding
- Manual dexterity
- Attention to detail
- Hand-eye co-ordination
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Up to 23 kg (50 lbs)
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral communication
- Team player
- Dental plan
- Disability benefits
- Health care plan
Long term benefits
- Registered retirement savings plan (RRSP)
- On-site housing options
- Wellness program
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
- Do you currently reside in proximity to the advertised location?
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Persons with disabilities, Newcomers to Canada, Seniors, Veterans, Visible minorities
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply