An Auto Mechanic, or Service Technician, fixes vehicles and replaces their parts for customers. Their duties include inspecting the vehicle’s mechanical components and its engine, diagnosing problems with vehicles and performing maintenance and repair work on cars, trucks and other vehicles.
- Location: Ottawa, ON
- Salary: $17.50 to $28.00 hourly for 30 to 50 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Overtime, To be determined, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Other benefits, Financial benefits
- Vacancies: 2 vacancies
Auto Mechanic duties and responsibilities
Auto Mechanics may be assigned different duties and responsibilities depending on their work environment and specialization. For example, Brake Technicians focus more on any issues related to car brakes than the rest of the car, while Transmission Technicians’ area of expertise is in transmission and gear-related issues. However, most Auto Mechanics share some major duties and responsibilities, including:
- Using manual and computerized diagnostic methods to identify potential problems in a car
- Explaining mechanical problems and possible solutions to clients
- Planning work and testing procedures using charts, experience and other organizational methods
- Testing parts and systems to ensure they work correctly
- Ensuring all critical parts are checked and tested
- Performing basic automotive care, including changing oil and rotating tires
- Repairing or replacing worn, old or defective parts of a car
- Repairing or modifying a car to a client’s specifications, if possible
- No degree, certificate or diploma
Experience an asset
Work Site Environment
- In shop
- Inspect and test mechanical units to locate faults and malfunctions
- Inspect motor in operation, road test motor vehicles and test automotive systems and components
- Adjust, repair or replace parts and components of automotive systems
- Adjust, repair or replace parts and components of truck-trailer systems
- Diagnose faults and malfunctions and confirm findings with supervisor to determine whether to repair or replace unit
- Repair or replace mechanical units or components
- Test and adjust repaired systems to manufacturer’s specifications
- Perform scheduled maintenance service
- Test and adjust units to specifications
- Advise customers on work performed and future repair requirements
- Complete reports to record problems and work performed
- Coach and instruct apprentices
- Review work orders and discuss work with supervisor
- Provide customer service
Certificates, Licences, Memberships, and Courses
- Automotive Service Technician Trade Certification
- Tire, wheel and rim mechanic
- Automotive Service Technician (Fuel and Electrical Systems) Trade Certification
- Automotive Service Technician (Transmission) Trade Certification
- Automotive Service Technician (Steering, Suspension and Brakes) Trade Certification
- Motor Vehicle Repairer (Service Station Mechanic) Trade Certification
- HVAC Certificate
- Motor Vehicle Inspector Certificate
- Driver’s Licence (Class 2 or B or C)
- Driver’s License (Class 1 or A)
- Automotive Service Technician Red Seal Certificate
Experience and Specialization
Area of Specialization
- Engine repair
- 4-wheel drive
- Electrical and electronic system
- Alignment, steering and suspension
- Brake system
- Hydraulic system
- Fuel and emission system
- Ignition and electrical system
- Automatic transmission
- Standard transmission
- Engine repair and overhaul
- Drive train components
- Truck-trailer repair
- Imported vehicles
- Front end components
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Fast-paced environment
- Hand-eye co-ordination
- Attention to detail
- Standing for extended periods
- Steel-toed safety boots
- Excellent oral communication
- Excellent written communication
- Team player
- As per collective agreement
- Free parking available
- Learning/training paid by employer
- Team building opportunities
- Are you available for the advertised start date?
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
- Are you willing to relocate for this position?
- Do you currently reside in proximity to the advertised location?
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?
- Do you have the above-indicated required certifications?
- What is the highest level of study you have completed?
- What is your current field of study?
- What is your current level of study?
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Newcomers to Canada, Visible minorities, Youth
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
613-733-1115 Between 08:30 AM and 05:30 PM
8-1335 Humber Place suite 8
Include this reference number in your application
Here is what you must include in your application:
- Job reference number
- References attesting experience
- Letter of recommendation
- Proof of the requested certifications
- Highest level of education and name of institution where it was completed
- Copy of latest school transcript
- Proof of student enrollment