Diesel mechanics are responsible for the maintenance and repair of diesel-powered vehicles. Their duties include running diagnostic tests on vehicles, test driving vehicles to gauge performance and maintaining detailed records of the vehicles they have serviced. Completely free trial, no card required.
- Location: Mississauga, ON
- Salary: $30.25 hourly for 35 to 44 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Evening, Night, Weekend, On Call, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
We are looking for physically fit candidates with good attention to detail for the position of diesel mechanic. The primary duties of a diesel mechanic include performing diagnostic tests on diesel vehicles to find faults, analyzing diagnostic test results and repairing or replacing engine, steering, transmission, braking or lighting system components.
Diesel mechanics need to be highly organized and communicate effectively, as they will be expected to maintain detailed records of serviced vehicles and interact with customers on a daily basis.
Diesel Mechanic Responsibilities:
- Running diagnostic tests on vehicles.
- Analyzing diagnostic test results.
- Replacing vehicle engines, steering mechanisms, transmissions and braking systems.
- Checking vehicle lighting systems.
- Test driving vehicles to gauge performance.
- Performing preventative maintenance on service trucks.
- Maintaining detailed records of serviced vehicles.
- Adhering to an inspection procedure checklist.
- Maintaining a parts inventory.
- Ensuring the cleanliness of the shop.
Diesel Mechanic Requirements:
- Degree or diploma in mechanical or automotive engineering.
- ASE Diesel Certification advantageous.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Aptitude for mathematics and science.
- Advanced knowledge of diesel engine components.
- Good IT and diagnostic skills.
- Physically fit and able to lift up to 150 pounds.
- Proficiency with maintenance and repair tools.
- Attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Good organization skills.
- College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
1 year to less than 2 years
Work Site Environment
- Various locations
- On-site customer service
- Instruct apprentices
- Troubleshoot and inspect equipment to detect faults and malfunctions
- Diagnose faults or malfunctions using computerized and other testing equipment to determine extent of repair required
- Order parts and maintain inventory
- Adjust equipment and repair or replace defective parts
- Keep maintenance reports and documentation
- Welding experience
- Test repaired equipment for proper performance and to ensure that work meets manufacturers’ specifications
- Attach components and adjust new farm equipment
- Clean, lubricate and perform other maintenance work
- Perform repair work on heavy trucks
- Service attachments and working tools
- Verify and repair emission control systems
Certificates, Licences, Memberships, and Courses
- Automotive Service Licence (310S)
Experience and Specialization
Diesel Engine Repair Specialization
- Fuel injection system
- Exhaust system
- Cooling system
- Air conditioning system
- Lubrication system
- Engine control system
- Major internal engine repairs or overhaul
- Installation and alignment of engines and machinery
Powered Equipment Repair Specialization
- Cable-operated working attachments
- Hydraulic-operated working attachments
- Electric generators
Mechanical Maintenance and Repair Specialization
- Mechanical transmissions
- Drive trains and final drives
- Hydraulic transmissions
- Power take-offs
- Tracked vehicle suspensions and steering
- Wheel-mounted vehicle suspension and steering
- Highway vehicle tires and wheels
- Off-road vehicle tires and wheels
- Brake system
Security and Safety
- Criminal record check
- Driving record check (abstract)
- Medical exam
- Drug test
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Physically demanding
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Hand-eye co-ordination
- Overtime required
- Steel-toed safety boots
- Safety glasses/goggles
- Are you available for shift or on-call work?
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
- Do you currently reside in proximity to the advertised location?
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?
- Do you have the above-indicated required certifications?
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada, Veterans, Visible minorities, Youth
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply