Jobs in Canada
Transport driver needed in Canada by D.S.L. TRANSPORT INC.
Transport drivers are responsible for the safe and efficient delivery of goods and/or passengers. They spend their days behind the wheel, navigating through traffic and making sure that they arrive at their destination on time.
Transport driving is a job that requires attention to detail and strong communication skills. Drivers must be able to follow directions from dispatchers while also paying attention to road signs and other vehicles around them.
- Location: Mississauga, ON
- Salary: $26.10 hourly for 35 to 44 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Evening, Night, Flexible Hours, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 3 vacancies
Transport drivers have a wide range of responsibilities, which include:
- Operating a forklift or other machinery used in loading or unloading cargo
- Performing pre-trip inspections to ensure that vehicles are safe to operate and are properly loaded
- Identifying mechanical problems with vehicles and reporting them to supervisors
- Maintaining records of deliveries made, including mileage, fuel usage, and cargo weight
- Keeping vehicles clean inside and out, including washing the vehicle regularly and replacing floor mats when necessary
- Providing customer service to passengers by assisting with baggage and helping passengers locate their seats
- Operating commercial vehicles such as semi trucks, buses, or delivery vans with a capacity of at least 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW), depending on the job description
- Following standard procedures for operating vehicles safely and efficiently such as adhering to speed limits, checking blind spots, observing other vehicles, and maintaining a safe distance from other cars on the road
- Driving vehicles over long distances to transport cargo or passengers between locations
- College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
1 year to less than 2 years
- Address customers’ complaints or concerns
- Coach colleagues on new methods or work techniques
- Mountain driving expertise
- Professionalism in customer service
- Drive lighter, special purpose trucks
- Load and unload goods
- Operate and drive straight or articulated trucks to transport goods and materials
- Oversee condition of vehicle and inspect tires, lights, brakes, cold storage and other equipment
- Perform brake adjustments
- Perform emergency roadside repairs
- Perform pre-trip, en route and post-trip inspection and oversee all aspects of vehicle
- Perform preventive maintenance
- Receive and relay information to central dispatch
- Record cargo information, hours of service, distance travelled and fuel consumption
- Tarping and ensuring safety and security of cargo
- Transport and handle dangerous goods
Certificates, Licences, Memberships, and Courses
- AZ class license
- Air Brakes Endorsement
- Air Brake (Z) Endorsement
- Commercial Vehicle Operator’s Registration (CVOR) Certificate
Experience and Specialization
- Accident or incident reports
- Bill of lading
- Dangerous goods occurrence reports
- Driver logbook
- Inspection report (pre-trip, en-route, post-trip)
- Maintenance and repair reports
- Trip reports
Type of Trucking and Equipment
- Dump truck
- Straight truck (4,600kg+ or 10,000lbs+ with 3+ axles)
Communication Systems Experience
- Operate GPS (Global Positioning System) and other navigation equipment
- Trip recorder (on-board computer)
Security and Safety
- Criminal record check
- Driver’s validity licence check
- Driving record check (abstract)
- Drug test
- Medical exam
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Attention to detail
- Handling heavy loads
- Large workload
- Physically demanding
- Hard hat
- Steel-toed safety boots
- Are you available for shift or on-call work?
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
- Do you currently reside in proximity to the advertised location?
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?
- Do you have the above-indicated required certifications?
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada, Visible minorities, Youth
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply