Kennel attendants care for pets while their owners are working or traveling. Basic attendant duties include cleaning cages and dog runs, and feeding, exercising, and playing with animals. Experienced attendants also may provide basic healthcare, bathe animals, and attend to other basic grooming needs.
- Location: 648 Campbell Rd Nerepis, NBE5K 3W6
- Salary: $13.50 to $16.00 hourly for 8 to 35 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Evening, Weekend, Shift, Flexible Hours, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Financial benefits
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
We are searching for an attentive, doting kennel attendant to oversee the well-being of the animals in our care. The kennel attendant’s responsibilities include cleaning cages, administering medication, and providing animals with food and water. You should also communicate diminished functioning to the Veterinarian on call.
To ensure success as a kennel attendant, you should be able to anticipate and tend to the needs of animals. Ultimately, a top-notch kennel attendant will be able to tailor their care according to animals’ physical, emotional, and behavioral difficulties.
Kennel Attendant Responsibilities:
- Transporting animals to and from the kennels.
- Ensuring that the animals have ample, fresh food and water at all times.
- Cleaning animal waste, spilled food, hair, and other debris from the kennels.
- Disposing of trash in a timely manner.
- Grooming, playing with and administering treatment to animals under the auspices of the Veterinarian.
- Accompanying animals on walks, if required.
- Calming animals who are in distress.
- Adjusting the air temperature to ensure that the animals remain comfortable.
- Reporting significant changes in functioning to the Veterinarian or medical professional on duty.
- Evacuating all animals if an emergency occurs.
Kennel Attendant Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Previous experience caring for animals will be advantageous.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Physically fit and agile.
- Capacity to lift up to 50 pounds unaided.
- A passion for animal welfare.
- Available to work during evenings, and on weekends and public holidays, if required.
- No degree, certificate or diploma
Experience an asset
- Prepare food and feed animals
- Clean and disinfect cages, pens, aquariums, kennels, runs, stall and enclosures
- Ear cleaning
- Nail clipping
- Schedule and confirm appointments
- Invoice clients
Experience and Specialization
- Domestic animals/pets (cats, kittens, puppies, dogs, etc.)
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Attention to detail
- Physically demanding
- Handling heavy loads
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Fast-paced environment
- Standing for extended periods
- Up to 23 kg (50 lbs)
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral communication
- Team player
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply