General farm workers plant, cultivate and harvest crops, raise livestock and poultry and maintain and repair farm equipment and buildings. General farm workers perform some or all of the following duties: Plant, fertilize, cultivate, spray, irrigate and harvest crops. Feed and tend livestock and poultry.
- Location: Fenwick, ON
- Salary: $15.50 hourly for 45 to 60 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Seasonal employment
- Day, Weekend
- Start date: Starts as soon as 2022-09-06
- Vacancies: 32 vacancies
As a general farm worker you’ll carry out practical work on livestock, arable or mixed farms
The type of work varies seasonally and involves tasks which could include looking after livestock, milking, and planting tending and harvesting crops
As well as farming related work you’ll also help with the maintenance and upkeep of the farm equipment and buildings
The exact work you’ll be doing will vary from season to season and depend on what sort of farm you’re working but a wide range of tasks need to be carried out including:
- Planting, tending and harvesting crops using a variety of equipment such as tractors and combine harvesters
- Rearing and tending livestock which includes feeding, mucking out, caring for sick or newborn animals and using milking machines for dairy work
- Preparing animals for transport
- Maintaining hedges and woodland
- Maintaining vehicles and machinery
- Cleaning and repairing buildings
- Spreading fertiliser
- Putting up and maintaining fences
- No degree, certificate or diploma
Experience an asset
Work site environment
- Plant, cultivate and irrigate crops
- Fertilize and spray crops
Experience and specialization
Equipment and machinery experience
- Planting equipment
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Repetitive tasks
- Handling heavy loads
- Physically demanding
- Ability to distinguish between colours
- Standing for extended periods
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
1960 Cream Street
WHAT WILL BE EXPECTED OF ME?
You’ll be someone who isn’t afraid of physical, outdoor work in all sorts of weather and at all sorts of hours
You’ll be someone who has a genuine interest in farming and learning more about the business; and also able to take instruction from your supervisor or manager
You should be able to calculate out weights and measures to a high degree of accuracy and also work safely at all times, particularly around farm equipment and animals
WHAT CAN I EXPECT?
At certain times of the year you can expect to work extremely long days to make sure that work is always completed satisfactorily – overtime is payable generally
You’ll have to work flexible hours including weekends so you can expect to live close to, or even on, the farm on which you work
A lot of the work is dirty so you will need to wear suitable protective clothing
Don’t let this worry you though because working on a farm can be extremely rewarding and fulfilling, particular if you like all things connected with nature