Jobs in Canada
Gastroenterologist needed in Canada by The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids)
Gastroenterologists or GI physicians specialize in treating diseases and ailments of the digestive system. He diagnoses and treats disorders related to the esophagus, stomach, intestines, gallbladder, liver and pancreas. Gastroenterologists diagnose diseases of the GI tract and administer treatment for the patients.
Gastroenterologists are medical practitioners who specialize in treating conditions of the gastrointestinal tract and liver. Diseases treated by gastroenterologists typically include colon polyps, pancreatitis, peptic ulcer disease, nutritional problems, colitis, hepatitis, and gallbladder disease.
- Location: Toronto, ON
- Salary: $210,000 to $280,000 annually for 35 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Evening, Night, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Health benefits, Long term benefits
- Vacancies: 2 vacancies
We are looking for specialized candidates with good interpersonal skills for the position of a gastroenterologist. Gastroenterologist duties include consulting and diagnosing patients, inspecting internal organs through endoscopic procedures, and consulting with patients’ primary physicians, among other duties. They are highly skilled specialists with a comprehensive understanding of all gastroenterological conditions and treatment options.
Gastroenterologists should demonstrate good interpersonal skills as they will be required to attend to patient needs and consult with other specialists.
- Consulting with patients to understand their health concerns.
- Performing specialized tests to diagnose patients.
- Determining proper courses of treatment.
- Consulting with a patient’s primary doctor.
- Analyzing patient historical data.
- Consulting with other specialists, such as oncologists, in the case of cancer.
- Performing endoscopic procedures to inspect internal organs.
- Performing X-Ray, MRI, and ultrasound scanning.
- Performing surgery in the digestive tract.
- Medical degree.
- Completion of a three-year internal residency.
- Completion of a three-year Gastroenterology fellowship.
- Attainment of certification from the American Board of Internal Medicine.
- Proficiency in performing endoscopic and colonoscopy procedures.
- Proficiency with X-Rays, MRIs, and ultrasound scanning.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Degree in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine or optometry
- or equivalent experience
5 years or more
- Urban area
- Relocation costs covered by employer
- Specialty hospital and acute care hospital
- Conduct medical research
- Assess patients’ diseases or disorders to determine appropriate surgical procedures
- Prepare research papers for publication and presentation
- Study the nature, cause and development of diseases and the structural and functional changes caused by diseases
- Act as consultants to other physicians
- Diagnose and treat diseases and physiological or psychiatric disorders
- Order laboratory tests, X-rays and other diagnostic procedures
- Prescribe medication and treatment and refer patients for surgery
Certificates, licences, memberships, and courses
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada Certification Examination
Experience and specialization
Specialization in clinical medicine
Security and safety
- Criminal record check
- Child Abuse Registry check
- Medical exam
- Eligible for professional liability insurance
- Immunization records
- Tuberculosis test
- Basic security clearance
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Fast-paced environment
- Work under pressure
- Tight deadlines
- Physically demanding
- Attention to detail
- Hand-eye co-ordination
- Combination of sitting, standing, walking
- Standing for extended periods
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Ability to distinguish between colours
- Manual dexterity
- Large workload
- Client focus
- Efficient interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral communication
- Excellent written communication
- Interpersonal awareness
- Team player
- Values and ethics
- Dental plan
- Disability benefits
- Health care plan
- Vision care benefits
Long term benefits
- Group insurance benefits
- Life insurance
- Other benefits
- Pension plan
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
Include this reference number in your application