Cuts, trims, and prepares meat for sale to customers. Receives and fulfills custom orders. Packages and displays meat. Labels meat to indicate cut, grade, preparation date, best-by date, and other relevant information.
- Location: 4145-4250 109 AVE NECalgary, ABT3N 1Z3
- Salary: $19.45 hourly for 35 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Evening, Shift, Overtime, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 2 vacancies
We are looking for a skilled Butcher to provide high-quality meats and services to our customers. The Butcher will perform quality inspections, use meat grinders, knives, saws, and other tools to cut meat down into smaller portions, weigh, price, and package cuts, and ensure that displays and signage are attractive and eye-catching. You will also speak to customers to determine their needs, provide advice regarding proper cuts of meat and preparation methods, and coordinate pickups or deliveries.
To succeed as a Butcher, you should be courteous, knowledgeable, and detail-oriented. You should have excellent communication skills and a strong understanding of meat quality, cuts, and preparation.
- Cutting, grinding and preparing meats for sale.
- Cleaning and maintaining tools and equipment and ensuring displays and signage are accurate and attractive.
- Weighing, packaging, pricing, and displaying products.
- Keeping records, budgets, and inventory.
- Performing quality inspections on meats and other products.
- Negotiating and confirming orders with suppliers.
- Adhering to food safety and sanitation controls.
- Greeting and speaking to customers, providing advice, answering questions, and accepting orders or payments.
- Coordinating deliveries or order pickups.
- Education or food preparation or meat cutting experience.
- Ability to use hand tools, stand or walk for extending periods, lift heavy items, and work in cold environments.
- Additional training is often required.
- Knowledge of meat preparation techniques and cuts.
- Strong communication, task management, and customer service skills.
- No degree, certificate or diploma
7 months to less than 1 year
- Clean meats to prepare for processing or cutting
- Cut, trim and prepare standard cuts of meat
- Wrap and package prepared meats
- Remove bones from meat
- Clean and prepare fish and shellfish
- Supervise other butchers, meat cutters and fishmongers
- Grind meats
- Slice cooked meats
- Prepare special orders
- Prepare special displays of meats, poultry and fish products
- Shape, lace and tie roasts, other meats, poultry and seafood
- Keep record of work performed and location and condition of equipment
- Ensure safety procedures are followed
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Persons with disabilities, Newcomers to Canada, Seniors, Veterans, Visible minorities, Youth
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
4145-4250 109 AVE NE