In general, swine technicians monitor the health and well-being of pigs. To do this, they: Recognize and treat health problems in pigs. Ensure that water is available and pigs are fed the correct amount and type of feed. Swine technicians may be involved in all aspects of hog production. They may specialize in a particular area such as breeding, farrowing, nursery, or finishing.
- Location: Wallacetown, ON
- Salary: $15.00 to $20.00 hourly for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Other benefits
- Vacancies: 2 vacancies
- Recognize and treat health problems in pigs
- Ensure that water is available and pigs are fed the correct amount and type of feed
- Monitor barn environments, including temperature and air movement
- Ensure humane handling, such as moving animals to other barn locations in a low-stress manner
- Carry out breeding and artificial insemination
- Help with births
- Euthanize animals when necessary
- Dock tails and clip teeth
- Wean, weigh, and sort pigs
- Administer vaccinations and other preventive treatments
- Load hogs for transport
- Use high-pressure washer systems to clean barns
- Maintain equipment and buildings
- Keep paper and electronic records of data such as births, weight gains, health treatments, and breeding dates
- Perform general farm duties
Swine technicians may supervise farm labourers.
- No degree, certificate or diploma
Work site environment
- Hog and pig farming
- Rural area
- Feed and tend animals
- Clean stables, barns, barnyards and pens
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Physically demanding
- Attention to detail
- Team player
- Free parking available
- On-site housing options
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply