An ultrasound technician helps doctors and other health professionals diagnose patients’ ailments. They operate special equipment that uses high-frequency sound waves to record images of internal organs. Other job titles for this occupation include ultrasound tech, diagnostic medical sonographer, or sonographer
An ultrasound technician works directly with patients and physicians and operates equipment that uses high-frequency soundwaves to take images and scans of the body’s internal organs. An ultrasound technician is also known as a diagnostic medical sonographer or as a sonographer.
- Location: Montréal, QC
- Salary: $25.00 to $35.00 hourly for 15 to 30 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Term or contract
Part time leading to full time
- Day, Evening, Weekend
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Other benefits
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
We are looking for a compassionate and skilled ultrasound technician to be responsible for operating sonographic scanners to capture images of patients’ internal organs and expectant mothers’ developing fetuses. The ultrasound technician may specialize or work in a broad array of specialties including obstetric and gynecological ultrasounds, and neurological, breast, heart, or abdominal sonography. You may also assist radiologists with vascular ultrasound procedure and ultrasound-guided biopsies.
To be a successful ultrasound technician, you should have excellent patient service and technical skills, as well as a strong working knowledge of anatomy and pathology. You should have strong problem-solving, decision-making, and time management skills.
Ultrasound Technician Responsibilities:
- Explaining the ultrasound procedure to patients, answering their questions, and providing support.
- Spreading the ultrasound gel on the surface of patients’ bodies over the internal area to be imaged.
- Programming and adjusting the scanner for the specific procedure and ensuring the transducer captures images from every angle or section as needed.
- Deciding which still images, or sonograms, to capture and present to the Physician for diagnostic purposes.
- Evaluating the images for quality and interpreting the images to assist the Physicians in diagnosing and treating diseases.
- Presenting the images and your preliminary findings to the Physicians.
- Maintaining patients’ records and medical notes on the ultrasound procedure they have undergone.
- Maintaining the ultrasound equipment and sterilizing the procedure rooms.
- Assisting Radiologists with vascular ultrasound procedures and ultrasound-guided biopsies.
Ultrasound Technician Requirements:
- An associate’s or bachelor’s degree in sonography.
- An industry certification to practice may be advantageous.
- The ability to remain focused in a fast-paced environment.
- Physical stamina to lift heavy equipment and remain on your feet for long shifts.
- The flexibility to work long shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Strong critical thinking, communication, and interpersonal skills, as well as sensitivity to patients’ problems.
- Good problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Other trades certificate or diploma
- Hospital/medical facility or clinic
- Operate ultrasound imaging equipment to produce and record images
- Perform minor repairs and adjustments to equipment
- Record, store and process scanned images by using camera unit connected to the ultrasound equipment
- Check ultrasound equipment to ensure proper operation
- 1 to 2 people
Experience and specialization
Area of specialization
- Obstetrical and gynecological sonography
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Attention to detail
- Combination of sitting, standing, walking
- Client focus
- Efficient interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral communication
- Learning/training paid by employer
- Variable or compressed work week
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?
- Do you have the above-indicated required certifications?
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Newcomers to Canada, Visible minorities
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
Here is what you must include in your application:
- Cover letter