Jobs in Canada
Greenhouse worker needed in Canada by A.V.B. Greenhouses LTD
A greenhouse worker grows and maintains plants within a plant nursery or greenhouse. As a greenhouse worker, your job duties include preparing the soil, planting bulbs or seeds, applying fertilizer, and watering the plants.
Greenhouse workers are responsible for the day-to-day operations of a greenhouse. They may be involved in planting, growing, and harvesting plants and flowers. Greenhouse workers may also be tasked with maintaining the grounds of the greenhouse, as well as performing other general maintenance duties.
Greenhouse workers must have a strong understanding of horticulture—they need to know how to properly care for plants and flowers so that they can grow healthy and thrive.
- Location: Standard, AB
- Salary: $15.65 hourly for 88 hours bi-weekly
- Terms of employment: Seasonal employment
- Day, Evening, Weekend, Shift, Overtime, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as 2023-02-27
- Vacancies: 17 vacancies
Greenhouse Worker Job Duties
Greenhouse workers have a wide range of responsibilities, which can include:
- Planting and caring for plants, flowers, and trees in greenhouse settings
- Monitoring temperature and humidity levels to ensure plants are receiving optimal care
- Watering plants and providing other forms of basic maintenance such as pruning or weeding
- Collecting data about the growth of plants for scientific research purposes
- Caring for and propagating plants for commercial use in nurseries and greenhouses
- Providing information about plant care to customers, answering questions about specific plants or types of plants
- Operating machinery such as tractors, forklifts, and loaders to move materials
- Planting seeds and seedlings in trays and pots for sale in nurseries or retail stores
- Cultivating plants from seeds or cuttings and transplanting them into larger containers
- No degree, certificate or diploma
The employer stated that this is a green job because the position:
- Involves duties and responsibilities that lead to positive environmental outcomes
Work site environment
- Floriculture production
- Rural area
- Remote location
- Various locations
- Greenhouse cleaning
- Assist in pruning trees, shrubs and plants
- Mix and prepare soils
- Plant bulbs and seeds
- Pot and re-pot plants
- Transplant seedlings or rooted cuttings
- Report signs of insect or disease damage
- Water and tend to plants, lawns and/or gardens
- Clean work area
Experience and specialization
Type of product
- Bedding plants
- Seasonal plants
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Fast-paced environment
- Repetitive tasks
- Handling heavy loads
- Physically demanding
- Standing for extended periods
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Large workload
- Attention to detail
- Hand-eye co-ordination
- Overtime required
- More than 45 kg (100 lbs)
- Efficient interpersonal skills
- Team player
- Are you available for shift or on-call work?
- Are you available for the advertised start date?
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
- Are you willing to relocate for this position?
- Do you currently reside in proximity to the advertised location?
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Persons with disabilities, Newcomers to Canada, Seniors, Veterans, Visible minorities, Youth
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
Here is what you must include in your application:
- Cover letter