Jobs in Canada
Head baker needed in Canada by Chambar Restaurant Corp
At a bakery, the head baker is responsible for developing and planning recipes and overseeing the daily production of bread and other baked goods at the facility. Your duties include understanding what types of baked goods your clientele enjoys and developing or improving upon successful recipes.
You test different ingredients for recipes and scale them for large-scale production. You also manage other bakers, and in a smaller facility, you may also have managerial responsibilities related to business operations.
- Location: Vancouver, BC
- Salary: $26.50 to $27.00 hourly for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Evening, Flexible Hours, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
Head bakers are responsible for overseeing all aspects of their bakery’s baking operations. They ensure that all products are made to the highest quality standards and in accordance with customer orders. Head bakers also play an important role in developing new recipes, improving production methods, and training other staff members on best practices.
Head Baker Job Duties
A head baker typically has a wide range of responsibilities, which can include:
- Managing the staff of bakers, including hiring, training, scheduling, and supervising them
- Creating new recipes for products such as breads, pastries, desserts, and other baked goods
- Measuring ingredients to create recipes and ensure that they are consistent each time they are made
- Communicating with other members of the foodservice team to ensure that orders are delivered on time and that production runs smoothly
- Maintaining clean work areas and equipment to prevent contamination and spoilage of food products
- Testing new recipes to improve taste or texture
- Coordinating with other departments such as marketing and sales to promote products
- Preparing ingredients for baking by measuring, chopping, mixing, kneading, and forming dough into loaves or other shapes
- Planning menus based on seasonal availability of ingredients and customer preferences
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
2 years to less than 3 years
- Prepare dough for pies, bread, rolls and sweet goods, batters for muffins, cookies and cakes and icings and frostings according to recipes or special customer orders
- Bake mixed dough and batters
- Train staff in preparation, cooking and handling of food
- Prepare special orders
- Supervise baking personnel and kitchen staff
- Train staff
- Ensure that the quality of products meets established standards
- Schedule staff
- Inspect kitchen and food service areas
- Operate machinery
- Organize and maintain inventory
Experience and specialization
- Breads and rolls
- Desserts and pastries
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Attention to detail
- Fast-paced environment
- Handling heavy loads
- Standing for extended periods
- Tight deadlines
- Work under pressure
- Client focus
- Excellent oral communication
- Excellent written communication
- Team player
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada, Veterans, Visible minorities, Youth
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply