A glazier is a tradesman responsible for cutting, installing, and removing glass. They also refer to blueprints to figure out the size, shape, and location of the glass in the building. They may have to consider the type and size of scaffolding they need to stand on to fit and install the glass
Glaziers specialize in installing different glass products, such as insulated glass that retains warm or cool air and tempered glass that is less prone to breaking. In homes, glaziers install or replace glass items including windows, mirrors, shower doors, and bathtub enclosures
Glaziers are professional artisans who specialize in working with glass. They are mainly responsible for cutting, measuring, and installing glass or mirrors in window frames, skylights, display cases, showers, bathtubs, solariums, and other structures.
- Location: Mississauga, ON
- Salary: $28.00 hourly for 30 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Overtime, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
We are looking to hire a talented and professional glazier to measure, cut, and install glass fittings in homes and businesses. A glazier’s responsibilities include working with blueprints to cut glass to specifications, assembling and fitting glass in shop windows, sliding doors, display cases, bathroom units, and other home or commercial structures.
To be successful as a glazier, you should have detailed knowledge of the glass manufacturing and cutting process, have good eye-hand coordination, be able to lift heavy objects, and have excellent communication skills. Ultimately, a top-notch glazier provides a positive customer experience while constantly meeting high professional standards.
- Interpreting blueprints to determine the shape, size, color and thickness of glass for installation procedures.
- Measuring and marking lines or patterns on glass before cutting.
- Cutting glass to size and specifications in the workshop and on the job site.
- Measuring, cutting and fitting anti-glare film to glass if required.
- Loading glass or mirror fittings onto delivery trucks for transport to job site.
- Driving trucks to job sites and unloading glass and materials.
- Fabricating and installing moldings for glass installation.
- Cutting and removing broken glass prior to new installation.
- Operating hoists or cranes with suction cups to lift heavy glass units.
- Cleaning the job area once glass has been installed and the client is satisfied.
- High school diploma.
- A valid glazier certification from the National Glass Association.
- 3+ years working as a glazier or commercial glazier.
- Ability to lift heavy objects.
- A high level of attention to detail.
- Excellent hand-eye coordination.
- Good communication skills.
- Professional appearance.
- Ability to deal with stressful situations.
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
1 year to less than 2 years
Work site environment
- At heights
- Determine type of glass, frames and material required
- Measure, mark and cut glass
- Position and secure panes in frame
- Assemble and install prefabricated glass, mirrors or glass products
- Install door, window and other hardware
- Instruct apprentices
- Repair glass doors and other glass structures
- Assemble, erect and dismantle scaffolding, rigging and hoisting equipment
- Read and interpret blueprints, maps, drawings and specifications
- Work at heights, on scaffolding or swing stages
- Work from man-lift mobile equipment, cranes and other lifting equipment
Certificates, licences, memberships, and courses
- Working at heights training
Experience and specialization
Frame fabrication and installation
- Curtain wall (stock length material)
- Curtain wall (prefabricated material)
- Aluminum framing members
- Skylights and slope glazed installations
- Curtain walls
- Stained glass installations
- Aluminum storefronts, barrel vaults, solariums, commercial window systems
- Display cases
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Physically demanding
- Handling heavy loads
- Standing for extended periods
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply