Meat clerks are responsible for the day-to-day operations of a grocery store’s meat department. They are tasked with ensuring that customers have an enjoyable shopping experience by helping them find the right cuts of meat, answering any questions they may have about different products, and keeping the area clean and organized.
Sells products by providing customers with information needed to make product-related decisions. Verifies ad prices, hangs current sale signs, and removes out-of-date sale signs. Unloads trucks and verifies deliveries. Performs routine price changes on lunch meat and cheese products.
- Location: 5049 22nd Ave SWEdmonton, ABT6X 2N4
- Salary: $16.00 hourly for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Evening, Weekend
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies 2 vacancies
Meat Clerk Job Duties
Meat clerks have a wide range of responsibilities, which can include:
- Receiving deliveries of meat products from suppliers and storing them in a safe manner until they can be processed or shipped out to customers
- Carving meats or preparing them for cooking, such as slicing steaks from a primal cut of beef or removing bones from chicken breasts
- Packaging meats according to customer instructions such as wrapping cuts of meat in plastic wrap and sealing them in plastic bags
- Stocking shelves with new items, rotating stock to ensure freshness, and cleaning up spills or debris from previous shoppers that may have fallen behind the counter
- Marking prices on cut meats, fish, and other food items based on weight or volume measurements provided by the store owner or manager
- Preparing meat orders for shipping, packaging them in boxes or bags, and labeling them with information such as the type of meat, cut, weight, price per pound, date of purchase, and expiration date if applicable
- Waiting on customers who wish to purchase meat products, including helping them select the right cut or brand for their needs or answering questions about preparation methods
- Checking customers’ IDs to verify age requirements for certain products such as alcohol or tobacco products
- Stocking shelves with nonperishable
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
- Provide advice about merchandise
- Assist in display of merchandise
- Conduct sales transactions through Internet-based electronic commerce
- Greet customers and discuss type, quality and quantity of merchandise or services sought for purchase, rental or lease
- Maintain sales records for inventory control
- Prepare merchandise for purchase, rental or lease
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Repetitive tasks
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada, Youth
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply