Job Vacancy in Canada
Tailor needed in Canada by McPhillips Tailor
Tailors are responsible for constructing, altering, repairing, or modifying garments for customers based on their specifications, needs, and preferences. They take customers’ measurements, assist in fabric selection, and arrange fittings to determine whether additional adjustments are needed.
- Location: 787 McPhillips StWinnipeg, MBR2X 2J4
- Salary: 16.75 hourly for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
We are looking to hire a highly-skilled tailor to construct, alter, modify, and repair garments for our customers. The tailor’s responsibilities include restyling old or outdated garments based on customers’ specifications, sewing zippers, buttons, hooks and eyes, or snap fasteners onto garments as needed, and assisting customers in selecting suitable fabric. You should also be able to prepare completed garments for pick-up by ironing out creases and removing chalk marks.
To be successful as a tailor, you should be detail-oriented and knowledgeable of clothing design and construction. Ultimately, an exceptional tailor should demonstrate excellent communication, time management, sewing, and problem-solving skills to ensure that customers are satisfied with the tailoring services provided.
- Discussing design, alteration, or repair requirements with customers to ensure that their specifications are met.
- Taking customers’ measurements using a tape measure.
- Accurately recording customers’ measurements, instructions, and preferences.
- Attaching labels to customers’ garments to prevent any errors.
- Modifying garments according to customer instructions, which includes tapering pant legs, lining sheer garments, removing pockets, and adding padding.
- Altering garments to improve comfort and fit, which includes shortening sleeves or straps, narrowing lapels, as well as taking in or letting out seams.
- Repairing customers’ garments, which includes patching or sewing tears and holes.
- Constructing garments for customers based on their design ideas, specifications, and preferences.
- Providing customers with cost estimates for the construction of customized garments.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Proven experience working as a tailor.
- Sound knowledge of fabrics as well as clothing design and construction.
- The ability to use a sewing machine.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, and time management skills.
- Outstanding sewing skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Good hand-eye coordination.
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
2 years to less than 3 years
- Make made-to-measure garments according to customer and manufacturing specifications
- Fit, alter and repair garments as required
- Operate sewing machines or sew by hand
- Mark, cut and sew fabric
Experience and specialization
Area of work experience
Area of specialization
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Persons with disabilities, Newcomers to Canada, Seniors, Visible minorities, Youth
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply