Home support workers provide personal care and companionship for seniors, persons with disabilities and convalescent clients. Care is provided within the client’s residence, in which the home support worker may also reside. Housekeepers perform housekeeping and other home management duties.
Support workers provide practical and emotional support to individuals with health problems, mental disorders, and emotional difficulties. They look after the well-being of vulnerable people by assisting with day-to-day tasks.
- Location: Calgary, AB
- Salary: 19.50 hourly for 40 to 44 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Evening, Night, Weekend, Shift, Overtime, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
We are looking for a caring and empathetic support worker to assist our clients with day-to-day tasks. As a support worker, you will be required to meet with clients to assess their practical and emotional needs, draw up care plans, and help them to live as independently as possible. You may also be required to train family and friends in relevant support techniques and to lead community meetings.
To ensure success as a support worker, you should have excellent interpersonal skills, a passion for helping others, and good leadership skills. A skilled support worker should be able to provide both emotional and physical support when needed to ensure that clients feel in control of their lives.
Support Worker Responsibilities:
- Meeting with clients to discuss their practical and emotional needs.
- Designing care plans that best suit the clients’ needs.
- Providing emotional support by talking to clients about their needs and listening to their concerns.
- Assisting with domestic tasks including shopping, cooking, cleaning, and washing.
- Tending to the healthcare needs of each client.
- Helping clients to apply for jobs, disability grants, and housing loans.
- Counseling clients with drug or alcohol addictions.
- Training family members in basic support techniques.
- Helping clients to participate in leisure activities.
- Making case notes and managing the case logbook.
Support Worker Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- A qualification in health and social care is preferable.
- Commitment to helping others.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Empathetic with good listening skills.
- Good problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to carry out domestic duties.
- Willingness to assist with basic healthcare practices.
- Patient and emotionally resilient.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
7 months to less than 1 year
Work site environment
- Optional accommodation available at no charge on a live-in basis. Note: This is NOT a condition of employment
- Work in employer’s/client’s home
- Willing to relocate
- Administer bedside and personal care
- Administer medications
- Assist in regular exercise, e.g., walk
- Assume full responsibility for household (in absence of householder)
- Feed or assist in feeding
- Launder clothing and household linens
- Perform light housekeeping and cleaning duties
- Plan therapeutic diets and menus
- Provide companionship
- Provide personal care
- Shop for food and household supplies
- Prepare and serve nutritious meals
- Supervise patients’ exercise routines
- Accompany clients to appointments and social outings
Certificates, licences, memberships, and courses
- CPR Certificate
- First Aid Certificate
- Personal Support Worker Certificate
Experience and specialization
- East Indian
- Willing to travel
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Combination of sitting, standing, walking
- Repetitive tasks
- Between 45 and 60 kg (100-132 lbs)
- Client focus
- Efficient interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral communication
- Team player
- Are you available for shift or on-call work?
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
- Are you willing to relocate for this position?
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?
- Do you have the above-indicated required certifications?
- What is the highest level of study you have completed?
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
Here is what you must include in your application:
- Cover letter
- References attesting experience
- Proof of the requested certifications