Teaching music theory, and helping students sharpen their sight-reading, memorizing, and improvising techniques. Incorporating digital pianos and other technology into lessons. Recording lessons so students can identify their own mistakes and monitor their progress.
- Location: Guelph, ON
- Salary: 18.00 to 25.00 hourly for 5 to 25 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Evening, Weekend
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 2 vacancies
Piano teachers provide music lessons to those wanting to learn the piano. They can be found in schools or work as freelance instructors who do house calls or work from private studios. Piano teachers provide feedback on student progress, schedule recitals, and also prepare students for competitions.
We are searching for a talented and dependable piano teacher to join our institution. The piano teacher’s responsibilities include evaluating pupils’ needs and preparing lessons that will help them achieve their goals, handling admin duties, and keeping track of finances and appointments. You will prepare students for recitals, exams, and competitions, and also teach music theory.
To be successful as a piano teacher, you should demonstrate excellent instructional skills and patience. Outstanding candidates are lifelong learners who are always improving their skills and are unafraid to experiment with technology.
Piano Teacher Responsibilities:
- Determining student goals and objectives, and discussing lesson details with them before committing to a plan.
- Structuring individual lessons based on client preferences and goals.
- Providing students with appropriate materials and resources.
- Showing up on time for scheduled practice sessions, recitals, competitions, and other events.
- Teaching music theory, and helping students sharpen their sight-reading, memorizing, and improvising techniques.
- Incorporating digital pianos and other technology into lessons.
- Recording lessons so students can identify their own mistakes and monitor their progress.
- Preparing students for exams, recitals, concerts, and other events.
- Motivating students, especially when they are struggling and progress is slow.
- Providing constructive feedback and adjusting lessons as required.
Piano Teacher Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in music and teaching certificate may be required.
- Strong musical ability, as well as proven piano skills and knowledge.
- Previous experience as a music teacher would be advantageous.
- Fluent sight-reading.
- Patience, and excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong motivational skills.
- Ability to identify strengths and weaknesses.
- Ability to travel to students’ homes if required.
- Other trades certificate or diploma
Experience an asset
Certificates, licences, memberships, and courses
- Royal Conservatory of Music Certification
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent or a temporary resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply