Teaching swimming techniques, swimming strokes, and water safety rules to students with varying swimming abilities. Assisting more experienced swimmers to enhance their swimming abilities. Planning swimming lessons that take into account students’ abilities and progressive development.
Also known as swimming teachers, swim instructors help children and adults develop proper swimming techniques. They may also coach swim teams and help more advanced swimmers enhance their swimming abilities.
- Location: Unit 2, 12050 17 Avenue SWEdmonton, ABT6W 1X4
- Salary: 19.00 hourly for 32 to 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- vacancies: 1 vacancy
We are looking to hire an experienced swim instructor to help children and adults of all ages develop proper swimming techniques and skills. The swim instructor’s responsibilities include evaluating each student’s performance during swim sessions and providing feedback, completing attendance, progress, and accident reports, and ensuring that all swimming aids and equipment are in good working order. You should also be able to assist students with special needs to socialize with other students.
To be successful as a swim instructor, you should demonstrate patience and enthusiasm and be able to motivate students to accomplish their swimming goals. Ultimately, an exceptional swim instructor should be able to communicate effectively with students and ensure that all water safety rules are adhered to.
Swim Instructor Responsibilities:
- Teaching swimming techniques, swimming strokes, and water safety rules to students with varying swimming abilities.
- Assisting more experienced swimmers to enhance their swimming abilities.
- Assessing the progress of students and adjusting teaching programs accordingly.
- Monitoring students to prevent accidents and injuries.
- Implementing ground rules for each swim session.
- Planning swimming lessons that take into account students’ abilities and progressive development.
- Identifying incorrect swimming techniques and correcting students accordingly.
- Ensuring that the swimming pool and locker rooms are kept clean and tidy.
Swim Instructor Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Proven experience working as a swim instructor or lifeguard.
- CPR, First Aid, and American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor or Basic Swim Instructor (BSI) certifications.
- Sound knowledge of proper swimming techniques and water safety rules.
- Strong swimming abilities.
- Excellent conflict resolution skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Passionate and enthusiastic.
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
1 year to less than 2 years
- Swimming pool/centre
- Demonstrate and instruct athletic, fitness or sports activities and techniques
- Lead groups and individuals in recreational or leisure programs
- Plan and carry out recreational, fitness and sports activities
- Schedule activities, keep logs, maintain records and prepare reports
- Leading/instructing groups
- Leading/instructing individuals
- Patrolling/supervising activities
- Ensure health and safety regulations are followed
- Monitor recreational, sports or fitness activities to ensure safety and provide emergency or first aid assistance when required
Certificates, licences, memberships, and courses
- Water Safety Instructor (WSI)
- CPR Certificate
- First Aid Certificate
Security and safety
- Criminal record check
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply