Job Vacancy in Canada
Legal assistant needed in Canada by Gerhard P. Randel, LL.B.
A Legal Assistant is a professional who conducts legal research, drafts documents, emails, and signatures for lawyers when they’re unable to. Overall, they’re responsible for supporting lawyers and making their job easier by handling administrative tasks.
- Location: Thompson, MB
- Salary: 14.00 to 24.00 hourlyfor 15 hours per 15 to 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employmentPart time leading to full time
- Day, Weekend, Flexible Hours, 08:30 to 16:30
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Other benefits
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
We are looking for a self motivated Legal Assistant to ensure smooth running of the office and effective case management. You will provide a broad spectrum of legal services under the supervision of an attorney.
- Provide administrative support to lawyer and enhance office effectiveness
- Handle communication with clients, witnesses etc.
- Administratively support and attend trials
- Prepare case briefs and summarize depositions, interrogatories and testimony
- Conduct investigations and statistical/documentary research
- Locate and develop case relevant information
- Type up and file basic legal documents and correspondence
- Answer and direct phone calls
- Maintain contact lists
- Monitor deadlines and juggle calendars
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience as Legal Assistant or Legal Secretary
- Familiarity with law, legal procedures and protocols, and court system
- Satisfactory knowledge of day-to-day operations of a legal office
- Computer literacy
- Proficiency in English
- Working knowledge of case management software
- Excellent secretarial and organisational skills
- Ability to juggle multiple activities and work under pressure
- Legal Assistant certification or diploma
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
1 to less than 7 months
- General law practice
- Relocation costs not covered by employer
- Schedule and confirm appointments
- Maintain filing system
- Prepare financial statements and reports
- Open and distribute regular and electronic incoming mail and other material and co-ordinate the flow of information
- Prepare and key in correspondence and legal documents
- Answer telephone and relay telephone calls and messages
- 1 to 2 people
Experience and specialization
Computer and technology knowledge
- MS Word
- Quattro Pro
- Electronic mail
- MS Excel
- MS Windows
Area of work experience
- Charts, tables, graphs and diagrams
- Financial statements
- Manuscripts, publications or theses
- Reports and records
- Civil litigation
Security and safety
- Criminal record check
- Driver’s validity licence check
- Child Abuse Registry check
- Valid driver’s licence
- Own transportation
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Tight deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Large caseload
- Client focus
- Efficient interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral communication
- Excellent written communication
- Team player
- Free parking available
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent or a temporary resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
This job posting includes screening questions. Please answer the following questions when applying:
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
- Do you currently reside in proximity to the advertised location?
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?